Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Don't call it a come back!

I've been here for years...

I haven't played ultimate competitively since 2003, the last time I went to Club Nationals. After 6 seasons off, I thought coming back would be a disaster. Turns out, I am faster, stronger, and have more endurance than I ever did, thanks to CFC.

This weekend I played at CHC. Saturday was easy for us, with the exception of the Nemesis game. We gave up on this one before we started which was frustrating! Sunday though was a new day, and we lost to the team that went head to head with Nemesis by 1 point. For the first time, this team showed some fight, some heart, some fire. Overall we placed 6th, and I think we will peak at the right time. I look forward to seeing Nemesis again, b/c I think we'll give them a run for their money!

I had a great weekend. I was fast, caught or assisted 25% of the team's scores, and had NO FEAR. Defensively, I was a monster. No one touched the disc with me on them. I layed out, got up, and did it all over again. I never stopped sprinting. I even caught a few high discs, with 3 x 5'8" and over girls closing in on me....

I never felt fearless with ultimate before. I suppose it happened because I knew that the foundation I had spent building over the last year was so strong, no one was going to beat me. No one was going to outrun or outjump or outsquat me. I gained a new mental toughness...my heart told me to bust ass, because I'd be fine after one point out on the sideline. Which I was. I finally became that player that performed well, gave everything I had during every point, and with a couple minutes of rest, could do it all over again. I didn't have to pace it....

I couldn't even do that as a 23 yr old....

And I got a great tan. It's good to be back.

Thank you Rudy, Bryce, Alex, Liz, Jonny, Zach, Anthony, Mandie, Alison, Kerry and all the coaches at CFC. Thank you to all the athletes that have made me better. I look forward to more....Bring It!

I'm back tomorrow after 3 rest days, as my body is trashed. Looking forward to the burpee, FS wod, and FGB on sunday!

2 comments: