Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Grace!

-85#'s, 8:23
What a fun experience. Every time I actually do a crossfit competition, I always am SO glad I did it. It is an incredibly rewarding feeling throughout- before, during, and after! I felt so lucky to have so many people cheering me on this weekend, I can't even say enough thank you's. I mean, here I was struggling with the last 10 reps of that workout, and every time I got that weight up, everyone went crazy. Donna kept me grounded. Glenn coached me through it. (He hates to coach me and I was so happy when he actually did.) Kurt kept yelling "Strong like Bull!"  Tery was counting me down. Ali G. was taping me! Joy and Gina were gushing with pride (as was I when I watched them!) My sister, Anita,  was being her loud, wonderful self! My fellow competitor (wish I knew her name!) came over as soon as she finished and cheered my last rep. Elisabeth and Julie F. were right there with me. In fact, Julie F. came to me afterwards and told me how inspired she was by what I did. I was like "really?" And here I was disappointed with my time....Gut check.  So that was the good stuff. More good stuff includes doing the wod at 85#'s, just 10lbs off of the rx'ed weight and 10 lbs below my PR.




I did my best to be there for everyone else as well, as best I could. I loved "coaching" Lisa through her Grace and helping her get a 5 minute time! I loved cheering on my little sister, and providing reassurance as she looked at me after every rep! I loved helping Ali G get through her rx'ed version! What an awesome experience!

But, as in life, there is always something to be done better. Something that you can use for your next go at it.
Here's what I learned.
-The nerves before hand suck. But I must find a way to remember the little things about form, not pressing out the weight, game plan, etc. It's not quite muscle memory yet, so I have to actively remind myself of some of those things, just like I would in surgery or when I used to act.
-Confidence. Enough said.
-As cliche as it is, I wish I could have pushed through a little harder, and paused less. My brain shut off though. It was weird. I want to start thinking during the wod...as weird as that sounds. I got 20 reps in 4 minutes, 10 reps in the last 4. Don't know if this was metabolic conditioning or just a bad game plan or strength or all three, but suffice it to say, I could have pushed through the breaks better. Maybe split jerk them all next time?
-I need to remember to set my back better, and work on not pressing out the jerk.

What will you do differently next time?

Finally, I have to give a big shout out to Barbells for Boobs. This is a company of 2 people. These are two people that are changing the world, and I was glad to be part of that. Way to go friends, and sign me up for next year!

1 comment:

  1. When I did Grace at this weight, I might have push-jerked about 3 of them and split the rest of them. I also didn't chain any b/c it took too much out of me to put the bar back down. Something else to think about too. And yes, you need to work on getting lower when you're fatigued. I felt bad that you spent so much energy pressing out that weight! By the way, that's a helluva weight to press!
    Anyways, you did awesome!

    ReplyDelete