Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Focus!

I need to restore my focus. I have found that for the last month, I have been distracted. I've been bringing my personal crap into the gym. That needs to stop. The gym, especially the strength area, really is a sacred space.

I love my crossfit friends. And I am so blessed to be part of a community that is really, truly like my family. Naturally I want to touch base and talk and connect. But last Sunday, there was just too much talking. Plain and simple.

When I look at the athletes I really really admire, like Elisabeth and Glenn, they approach their training like I approach surgery. As I am prepping and draping and the minutes before I do an operation, I am thinking, planning, and preparing for every possible scenario. Most of the time, too much talking really bothers me because I am so focussed.

The amount of focus that these two have while they work is written all over their faces. Heck, I'm not even really allowed to talk to Glenn while he's lifting except for a quick kiss hello. They are preparing, planning, and thinking about the task at hand. They are all there. Mind, body, spirit and heart.

I used to think I am "all there." But actually, I wonder what would happen if I shut up and lift. Leave all that other crap outside. Focus on the task at hand. Talk to people when I'm done. And just shut up and lift.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you, it's essential for performance and for safety to be able to quiet the noise in your head and tune out the distractions in your environment while training. I look at it as part of being a Crossfitter and striving to able to perform in any conditions. Focusing on the things in your control, like your breathing, your thoughts and what your body is doing.

    ReplyDelete