Monday, January 25, 2010

"Rest????!!!!" Day

Unfortunately, when I can't be at CFC, I'm at work. A lot of people have asked me recently what it means for me to be on call (Heather and Tery, don't read, you'll never go to med school!). Since tonight is one of those nights, I'm going to describe my 30 hr rest day...:=)

Sleep: 6.5hrs

5:15 am: Alarm goes off. Ugh.
6am: 12oz skim latte. Waking up on the drive to work. Still can't eat during this, too early.
6:30am: Round on 25 patients. Make sure the intern knows what he is doing.
7:45: Case #1- today was a carotid surgery. High stakes, very fine movements needed. Goofy looking magnifying glasses on.
11am: An apple and some peanut butter (i know it's not strict paleo but I needed some fat). Check on the intern.
12-7pm: A few more cases, lots of fine vascular stuff. Mentally exhausting. Snuck in a few turkey slices and another apple as well as 1L of water.
7-8pm: Round with the attending
8:15pm: Finally some down time. Damn I'm tired. Update blog. Eat. Leftovers from last night, the spaghetti squash and turkey, more water, and watermelon.

For the next 18 hrs or so, I'll be here. Seeing consults, dealing with emergencies, checking on patients, checking on the interns. I likely won't sit down again for a while. But in the end it's worth it. I love what I do. I'm just ready to be done with training.

This also means that I could just go home and be tired after. I could sit and watch tv, eat like crap, and use the "I'm tired" excuse. But honestly, everyone has a battle. Everyone has commitments and time constraints. This isn't any different than any one else with a tough schedule.

And a little lack of sleep is not going to keep me from the gym. Because either I go when I'm post call and exhausted, or I don't crossfit at all. And I choose to crossfit. It's never my best or easiest workout, but I'm finding the new diet and the improved strength have made my recovery much easier. In fact, my hands are smoother in the operating room and I move better overall. I don't get the "recovery" like everyone else does, but well...something's gotta give. And that's not going to change soon. So I press on. And I say it once again. Bring it. Imagine what I can do rested.

3 comments:

  1. I admire what you do and the fact that you go to crossfit post-call so much. You are quite the fighter :)
    Also, have you tried sunbutter yet? It's "more paleo" than peanut butter (and probably better for you) and tastes just as good, if not better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anjali, you're truly an inspiration. Keep up the good fight chica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO ANJ, GO!

    I know this word "exhaustion" ... but if coupled with "I love what I'm doing", it becomes personal, not physiological. A very different fight indeed.

    Since you've got one of the biggest hearts I know, I'm not surprised nor particularly worried. Makes me think of the day you dropped the bar several times, cursed at it, and then nailed each rep afterwards.

    So scrappy. I love it.

    PS: yeah, I see it coming. But my new mantra as of late is "UNSCARED".

    ReplyDelete