Thursday, June 2, 2011

I can't believe it...

Tomorrow I graduate from my surgical residency.

I post about this here because, much like crossfit, my residency has required super human feats. Working 40 hrs straight, multiple times a week. Being on my feet for 24 hours in a row. Putting my own life on hold to serve others. Learning under fatigue and stress and fear, and hoping that after 3 hrs of rest, I could get up and do it again.

It's hard to describe the intensity of the process. I can only compare it to the military boot camps, in which you live, breathe, and sleep one goal. When you fight through fear and exhaustion, and hope that your training will carry you through. When you stay awake on your night off, hoping your patients are ok.

I have a skill set now. I can help people in their worst times. I am scared, as I think the true learning will start now, when I have no back up, and my name is the one that's responsible.

There are a few thank you's that have to go out here.
*My family: for all the times they brought me dinner when I was too exhausted to stand up, for all the events I missed, for all the times I couldn't be a good daughter/sister because I wasn't available...I love you guys. Everything good in me comes from you.

*Glenn: I am a better person because of you. You have been my anchor over the last year and a half. You have kept me happy and sane and humble.

*All of my friends: Nichole/Tery/Krista/Stathis/Ed...thank you for your unconditional love and support. Without you guys I would have gone nuts.

*Crossfit Chicago: I was literally wasting away when I walked into CFC. My spirit had been broken from all the work. I had no fire. Rudy, Bryce, Kerry, Alison, Donna, Amy H, Kurt, and all the others that I fail to mention here...you saved my life. You got me through my worst time. I will be eternally grateful for all that you have done.

I can't believe I did it.
Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Anj! CONGRATS on graduating!!! I am so proud of you! It takes a very special person not only to go through what you did, but also to do what you do. You are incredibly hard-working, compassionate, and humble person. Not to mention a bada** little Crossfitter. :) These are traits that I admire in you and traits that will take you far in life. Congrats again, on an amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it, love. Since day 1 there was NEVER a doubt...

    WE LOVE ANJALI, GOT IT?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anj darling I am beyond proud of you. You are an amazing woman with more energy, hope, compassion, and strength than can possibly be contained inside such a tiny little body!! You have ARRIVED my darling, and the world will be healthier and safer because of what you are now trained to do.

    Congrats, my wonderful friend. You know if I ever need surgery I'm coming to you, right? Thank you for trusting me as your friend and for relying on me in a way that always makes me feel loved and special and important. I love you girl.

    Oh, and thanks for pulling my stitches out. You're good, you :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Anj! I have always marveled your ability to do so much (and with lots of energy) with so little time! You're super hardworking and one of the most compassionate people I know. I never doubted your ability to complete the herculean feat of residency, CF, and ultimate frisbee training on the little sleep that you did have (and look great doing it). Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!!!! Looking forward to really celebrating this one with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! Thanks guys! I mean it when I say that it was you all that saved MY life. Truly.
    @Rudy: Name the time and place my friend! Although I can't promise a bear fight (gross!), I'm sure we can find some silliness to go after!

    ReplyDelete