Sunday, May 6, 2012

One Hundred Seventeen! AND IT'S IN YOUR HEAD!

That's right! I cleaned, and power cleaned at that, 117 #'s. That is 10 lbs over body weight! HOW EXCITING! And if I can get my arse back to Roger's gym, I have a feeling 125 is right around the corner. Damn, I miss Roger Nielsen!

So I have to tell the story because it rings true for so many of us I'm sure. We did a clean ladder, starting at 55, and progressing up by 10 lbs every 30 seconds. 85 and 95 went up pretty easy. I got to 105 and thought, this is close to your PR Anj (previously 110 squat clean), just go get it. It went up pretty easy and I thought, wow, this strength programming is working.

I then proceeded to the 115 bar, and after a number of attempts of pulling the bar quite high, my catch was just off and I kept landing on my ass! At least my hips were open! So, out of the ladder I went.

AND then, as I was reporting my score, Glenn came to me and said, Anj, that 105# bar was not loaded correctly. You actually did 115# (really 117 because it was the 22# bar)....

I was SO surprised at the difference between the two lifts. When I knew I could do the weight, it went up no problem. When I questioned my ability or even took the split second to process the number of pounds, it got into my head, I over thought it, and was unable to get it. Either that, or I really did PR and just didn't have any more in me. :=) I like to think it's the first one.

So seriously friends, GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD. HAVE FAITH. Trust yourself and don't think about it. I suppose it's why Roger never tells you how much is on the bar. I suppose it's why I do much better at life in general when I don't have time to think about it. Work in progress, but that is my new mission!

2 comments:

  1. Hi I just came across your journal and so glad I did! I had to quit Crossfit simply because I could no longer afford it. I'm not so motivated to go to my local gym as you can probably appreciate - lack of camaraderie, strength coaching and the skills that were fun to practice.

    Anyway I digress, I wanted to let you know that I find it incredibly inspiring that you persisted with training despite your crazy schedule during residency. I'm in my final year of dental school and it is driving me insane + work commitments on Saturday. Come exam time I really struggle keeping things together - training, eating, studying, sleep everything is out of whack! Not to mention how easy it is to let go when the girls at school are also whining about having no time to go to the gym. Who you're influenced by is crucial too.

    So thank you, I'll have to somehow work out a plan to continue training as my schedule is not as bad as yours. But if you do have any advice about pushing on with training/work/study despite overwhelming exhaustion I'd love to chat!

    Cheers

    -FP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I am so glad you commented! Yes, I think all of those things you mentioned are a factor. I guess that I always thought of Crossfit as time to take care of me. It took a little extra organization and a little less sleep, but I always found myself less exhausted, less miserable, and overall happier, if I pushed through and made it to the gym. Sometimes, it wasn't pretty. I would have to scale the weight or not push as hard. But the important thing was I was there. That having been said, I tried to listen to my body, and days that I felt like it was a chore to go to the gym, I let myself have a break. I think that's the key. Do what you can. Lessen your expectations a touch. Plan to get to the gym 3x a week, but be serious about those three times while you are in your residency. And realize that the benefits you are getting from being there far outweigh the little bit of sleep you may give up. :-) Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete