Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Impossible?

That's Oscar Pistorius. He was born such that he needed to have both of his legs amptutated by the age of 1.

He just qualified for the Olympics and ran 400m in 44 seconds!

Some wondered whether his prosthetics gave him an undue advantage. Haters! Having just one knee amputation raises your energy expenditure by almost 25-50%, much less both of them. He's probably in better shape than Lance Armstrong and Chris Spealler combined! What an amazing accomplishment! His goal was to qualify for the Olympics against able bodies. And after a long struggle, he's on the cusp of doing it!

To be honest, this is what I needed to see today. I had a long conversation with Rudy and Elisabeth yesterday about goals. Elisabeth asked me "Don't you just want to be good at everything Anj?" I said of course, but until that moment, I didn't believe in my heart that I could actually accomplish that. I mean, the thought of lifting as much as the big girls seems like an insurmountable feat. I've always said that I'm strong for my size. But Rudy yesterday said...SO WHAT? And he's right. I want to be absolutely strong. I want to be a badass.

And I didn't believe I could do it until Rudy and Elisabeth asked me why not? Because it'll be hard? Because it's going to seem uphill? Because some girl that weighs 140 will come in and already be stronger? Because I may fail?

I don't know yet exactly how I will get there. But I got Rudy and Elisabeth and a whole community of support. In the next week or two I will post my goals. They are gonna be big. And I might fail. But if Oscar could do it, and he doesn't have his own legs, well then so can I. I do have both of my legs....

1 comment: